This is what the kiln looked like after we removed the icky stuff. It was definitely not suitable to keep in the heat we would need to fire our pots. So we ordered more fiber blanket and got back to work another day.
Look how great it looked when we finished replacing the blanket!
The most exciting part was testing the propane. We had a lot of help from Glen. It's a good thing. He likes to keep us safe.
Here they are all glazed and waiting for the big day. I was brave when I decided to try a carved piece for one of my firsts. Because the pots go through tremendous thermal shock, the chance for breakage is always worrisome.
Time to wait for the pots to get red hot.
When the kiln top gets lifted the pieces are RED HOT! (these pieces are from a firing at a later date. I can't believe I did not get a red hot picture the first time I did raku)
Bob can be found at www.bobgreenpottery.com
I should do another blog post just about our weekend with Bob but, I have run out of steam so I will end with another gallery of pictures from that tremendous weekend.
I will be participating in another raku firing next weekend where we will test out our ability to retain the info Bob shared with us! May the weather and the kiln god shine down on us.